18 January 2009

It Started with a Chair, I Mean a Churro Craving...

…and it ended up like this.


Actually, it kind of started with a few other things, too.

A few weeks ago, I was so terribly depressed and bored with everything. Being without a job and friends can make a girl miserable. On New Years Eve, I was really hoping to do something fun. Mac and I have spent every New Year’s Eve since we have been married at home, doing nothing. For some reason, I have always had high expectations for this night, so it is always a disappointment when we end up falling asleep. We literally had NO friends to call to hang out with. We went through our list of everyone we knew, and we eliminated them all because we know that they were either out of town, spending the night with their families, or probably really wouldn’t want to hang out with us, anyway. On January 1, I was in such a rotten mood. I thought that I would maybe make a list of New Year’s resolutions, but then I remembered that I hate New Year’s resolutions, and that I think they are stupid. I entertained the idea of cleaning my house as I looked around at the filth, but then I remembered that I hate cleaning. Grocery shopping? No. Gym? No. Being sad and wallowing? Yes.

This is pretty much how the rest of the week went.

On Friday night, I couldn’t even smile. Mac and I were sitting on the couch and I was really annoyed that all I ever do is stay at home in our tiny house, while Mac goes to work with our only car, leaving me at home for hours. I was sad that all day I would wait for him to get home, but when he would finally come home, he would be too tired to play with me. Then I would dread night time because I knew that I would go through my crazy bouts of insomnia. Then when I would finally get tired, I would dread waking up because I knew what my day would have in store for me.

You know that Disneyland commercial that has been playing recently? The one where the little boy is sitting in school daydreaming, and then he opens his book and Mickey Mouse-shaped balloons and happy things start flying out of his book? Well, this commercial came on as I was lying on the couch, which of course made me think of Disneyland churros, while Mac asked me the question, “What can we do to make you happy?”

To which I jokingly replied, “You can take me to Disneyland right now, and we can eat churros and be in warm weather and go on fun rides, and that would make me really happy.”

Mac turned to me and said, “If you are serious, I’ll pack the car right now.”

I quickly took about 30 seconds to rationalize a trip to Disneyland...

We’re really poor and we can’t afford it…but, I will be starting a new job on Tuesday.

I hate the drive to California…but, California makes me happy.

We should maybe wait a few months to plan the trip better…but, I am not allowed to use any PTO for ninety days.

No. We can’t spend the money…but, we both deserve it for graduating, and we are the only ones we know who didn’t get to spend the holidays with our family.

Plus: Mac has never been to Disneyland, Space Mountain has always been out-of-service during my past few visits, I really do want a churro, we may not be able to take spontaneous trips like this much longer if we have to start being adults, etc.


Thirty seconds later, at 6:30 on a Friday night, we went online, bought our tickets, paid for a hotel, I took a shower (I think it was my first shower in 3 days, or some crazy record like that), Mac went and bought gasoline and snacks and went to his work to print out our tickets (our printer doesn’t work), we packed a few things, and we were on the freeway by 7:30.

We drove through the night, only stopping once to take a quick nap when we were about an hour outside of Anaheim.

We pulled over at a hotel across the street from Disneyland and brushed our teeth and changed our clothes. By 7:00, we were at the Disneyland gates, waiting for our day-o-fun.

Mac was so funny. He was like a little kid. He loved Disneyland and he could not stop smiling. We even got him a button that said, ‘My First Visit.’ Mac kept saying, “Disneyland really is the happiest place on earth.” And it’s true. That day was one of the happiest days of our marriage.












Is it just me, or did the 'Soarin' Over California' ride add even MORE scentage to their already-lovely ride?

And did the 'Haunted Mansion' ride also add some new scents?

Whoever thinks that the 'It's a Small World' ride is annoying, is pretty annoying themselves. I love that ride and I think it is so cute. Is it weird that I get teary-eyed whenever I go on that ride?




I have three dream jobs.

1. Be a dolphin trainer at SeaWorld, which could never happen because I can’t swim, and I might have a phobia of the water.
2. Is pretty realistic so I won’t mention it.
3. I want to be Belle at Disneyland. I really, really, do. I can be cheesy. I have brown hair.



So Disneyland, your idea to make a commercial of a little boy opening his book with Mickey Mouse-shaped balloons flying out, was a highly lucrative one. If nothing else, you earned about $300 from us, plus the amount of two ridiculously-priced sandwiches and $12 in churros.

15 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

Wonderful post! And continually jealous am I that you have Mac to yourself.

I personally am always more excited by churros than anything disney related, but hey, you two got the best of both worlds...or lands.

MeL said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm seriously so very jealous of you guys! There truly is nothing happier than Disneyland, and if there is...it is a spur of the moment trip like you had! I'm so happy that you guys did this for yourselves and had a fantastic time!

Oh, and by the way, me and Philip have a picture in front of the river and it used to be hanging in the waiting room at work, and one time a lady asked me if it was in Maine, like the state. I felt really really cool and mature and whatnot telling her it was at Disneyland, just across the way from Pirates of the Carribean.

Anyhoo, sorry for the novel, and hooray for the magic of Disneyland!

donelle said...

Spontaneous trips are THE best! I had no idea that you went to Disneyland. That makes me sooooo happy for you. Especially since Mac had NEVER been before. Awesome. I've been craving Disneyland for some time now...I'll have to take a spontaneous trip there soon.

Emily Lauren said...

That's so awesome! I love Disneyland, and what a great way to get out of the dumps.
It looks like you guys had so much fun! That's so great that Mac loved it so much. It really is the happiest place on earth!

Lindsee said...

I am so glad you went!! How fun!

And Kelly, Tyler and I would have LOVED to hang out with you guys. Sorry we were out of town!!

We are in the same boat too. Most of our friends have family here. So, call us whenever. Honestly. We like you guys :)

We need to do something soon!

The Fletchies said...

Churros make EVERYTHING better.

And I am so glad Mac liked it so you can go ALOT more!

heather said...

Okay Lady, so while I'm really happy that you got a way fun and way deserved trip, and I'm also happy that you found a job, why in the heck have you not called me??

I'm at home, alone, ALL day, every day, doing nothing and being a complete emotional wreck every other week because this could make anyone crazy -and you're telling me you've been home too?? And we could've done nothing together sometimes??

I TOTALLY thought that you were subbing everyday. I thought you were subbing? Ugh. I wish you had called.

And while we were out of town on New Years Eve, we'd love to hang out with you guys sometime! What times are good for you?

URFAVE5 said...

Hi Kelly! Well I first of all want to say that I had know idea how much we are alike. When you were describing your lonesome days that you have, man girlfriend, I remember those days when Brian and I were first married. I remember seriously crying my eyes out. Not because I didn't love and adore Brian and not because I wasn't happy with him but just because I was a lonesome and poor and Brian seriously worked all the time! I was going to school and all I did was study. We spent many a nights just sitting at home in our tiny little apartment me studying, him watching ESPN, or him asleep becasue he had to leave for work at 3:45 am. So I totally relate to what your going through! But on the very bright side! We eventually moved into a house and had some children and life got way busy and way exciting. And now there is never a dull moment! So hang in there and when your feeling down just remember I've been there!

O.K. now on to other things! I'm so so exicted that you guys got to go to Disneyland. How fun for Mac to get to go for his first time! The two of you really look like you had a great time. I love Disneyland! It really is the happiest place on earth! And I personally think the fact that you both graduated you definately deserved a trip to celebrate! I'm so proud of you both!

I also LOVE churros. Last time we went to Disneyland I had 3 churros in one day and half of one of the kid's churros. Can you believe that? When I get my churro craving I make a pit stop into Costco and get me a hot churro. There not quite as good as Disneyland but they do in a churro craving.

I'm so glad that you found me. I really enjoy hearing about what you guys are up to. Good luck with your new job! I'm looking forward to reading all about it!
Take Care-Love, Cousin JoLynn

April McEvoy said...

Good for you guys! I love the spontaneous trips... they are the best! Take advantage of these while you can, now that we have a baby our spontaneous days are over. Glad you got to do something SOOO fun together!

kemra said...

How freaking fun! I am so jealous! I love Disneyland! How did you stay up for so long? You look so pretty too - I would have looked like a ZOMBIE!!!

If it makes you feel any better - I went to bed @ 8:30 on New Years Eve (Dean followed about an hour later). We are pretty boring!

Oh, and thanks for calling me - you are so sweet. I have been meaning to call you back, and everytime I think of it something comes up...so I will call you back (I really am the worst friend) - and thanks again, I really appreciate it!

MeganandClaudy said...

I SOOO wish you guys would have called us. Our New Year's eve was EXACTLY the same. I sat there thinking...man I wish we could call someone in the ward-but then talked myself out of it thinking it was too last minute, or they wouldn't want to hang out with us cuz we had nothing exciting to offer, or everyone already probably had plans...etc...either way we sat at home, bored and fell asleep early...we seriously have to double date!

Rachel Williams said...

You guys rock! And I'm now jealous! I've never been to disneyland (although I have tasted magic mountain). Hopefully that will change this summer. We can't wait to introduce Lucy to all the princesses. I think Kelly would make a wonderful Belle!

THE BROWN FAMILY said...

WOW! I love this story and I am going to make my husband read it so he can get some ideas to "surprise me". I am so glad you got to go and you soooo deserved it.

Kim and Matt said...

I am so happy for you! I love Disneyland!! It for sure is the happiest place on earth! You and Mac are so lucky to have eachother. Good luck in your job. I hope you are liking it. Miss you.

Jason & Amanda Chapman said...

You are hilarious! Hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I saw that you had one through facebook. You crack me up! :) You're so cute.

Post a Comment