18 November 2008

Will it One Day Get Better?

I’ve been out of a job for almost two months and we only make enough to get pay our rent ant utilities. We have had to take money out of our small savings account to make up for our loss. Our car is falling apart and will most likely die any day. Mac’s scooter can barely start, and it’s getting too cold for him to ride it anymore, anyway. We had to cancel our graduation trip because we can no longer afford it. Our money from donating plasma has run out, which means no more groceries until we can save up more. My blow dryer has been broken for the past two weeks, and I can’t afford a new one, so I burn my fingers by trying to hold the nozzle up-right to get my hair dry. Our house is constantly freezing because we can’t afford to run the heat very high. None of my clothes fit, and we can’t afford to buy me any new ones. Mac's only suit has a new hole in the butt, and we can't afford a new one for him to interview in. My only dress shoes are falling apart, and I literally have to keep my foot down to the ground so that you can't notice that the sole is about to fall off. Our plans to move in February are now up in the air. Neither of us have any immediate family near to give us comfort.

So what helps me to get through every day?

These children:






They have so little, and yet they are so happy. When I think about my time in Ghana, I remember how lucky I am. This experience will always be a reminder to me that it doesn’t matter what you wear, or what you drive, or where you live, or what others may think.

As long as we have each other, nothing else matters.

12 comments:

donelle said...

Mac and Kelly...I love you guys! I'm sorry things aren't going too well for you. I know exactly what it's like to have ZERO income, Kelly. It sucks. At least Mac has work. But like you said, things could always be worse. I hope things turn around for you, and soon. I'm praying for you! Love you!

Rachel Williams said...

At least Mac has a job and you can afford rent. You could be living with parents, like us. I'm sure things will turn around soon!

Gini said...

I am so sorry things are hard for you two right now. Things will get better. I wish we were closer, but you can always call me anytime.

I love that picture of you and Mac. You guys are so cute!

Lindsee said...

Great attitude! I am so sorry things are hard right now, but somehow things always work themselves out. Let me know if you need anything. ANYTHING :)!!!

kemra said...

I'm really sorry - that totally stinks! I hope you find a job soon!

I actually have an extra blow drier - kind of a long story, but anyway, I would be HAPPY to give it to you. Are you still coming down for Holly's wedding? If so, I'll bring it (I'll just leave it in my car!) and you can take it!

April McEvoy said...

Hey Kel! sorry to hear things have been so rough for you guys. I can't believe you still haven't found a job! thanks for helping to remind me how grateful i need to be for all i have. You need to come visit one day and meet our new little guy! He is already a month old! Hope life improves for you guys!

Bekah Parker said...

I am so sorry to hear that it is hard financially right now. but things will get better. You are a real trooper and way to have the right perspective!

TheBastians said...

This post is - BEAUTIFUL. Fantastic. Almost made me cry. To see those beautiful, amazing, gorgeous children! Oh!!!! I can't wait to get our Charlie!!! You are amazing! Let's hang out sometime!!

PS - I have a spare blowdryer if you need one. Seriously!! :)

Bracan said...

I hate to be a downer, but like my dad, Judd, always says..." It always seems darkest just before it goes pitch black". But I think things will only get better for the two of you. Plus, if you guys need a place to stay for a few weeks after moving up here you can stay with us. We have a storage unit you can borrow! When the door closes is when it goes pitch black!

MeL said...

Being poor sucks, so I'm totally sorry that you guys are going through crap right now. And you said, you've got each other, but guess what, you've both got your looks too! Seriously, that picture is oh so attractive of you guys!

Erin said...

how true! kelly...if i lived near you i'd give you my blow dryer and i'd go to DI to find great "new" stuff for you! we aren't struggling yet, but once our savings dries up it's all student loans for us for the next couple years. i'll remember those kids when it gets tough!

Erich and Katie said...

SOrry things are hard!! I want to help! do you still need a blow dryer? Come have dinner with me. My hubby is in AZ and would love some good company!!!!

Post a Comment